The College link programme
As part of our transition programme to post 16 learning, in year 11 all pupils are supported to become immersed into the learning opportunities of a post 16 college.
Pupils spend each Thursday morning at North Herts College in Stevenage experiencing the learning styles and structures of a college environment.
They are taught and supported by college staff in a range of subjects which can be studied further if pupils transition onto North Herts College. Valley school staff will also be on hand in the unlikely event that any issues arise that college staff can not deal with.
The programme for the academic year 2018 -19
- Radio station
- IT/ Stop motion animation
- Visits and taster sessions at other sites/departments (Hitchin, ECC, Stevenage – Wheels, Catering, Sport)
- End of year project to facilitate transition to college
- Enterprise and employability – planning an activity e.g. Coffee morning for parents/carers or an enterprise event
- Practical maths and English skills development
Pupils also have the opportunity to develop many associated independence skills such as visiting ASDA to buy their lunch, working in groups that they are unfamiliar with and travelling on public transport.