The College link programme
As part of our transition programme to post 16 learning, in year 11 all pupils are supported to become immersed into the learning opportunities of a post 16 college.
Pupils spend each Thursday morning at North Herts College in Stevenage experiencing the learning styles and structures of a college environment.
They are taught and supported by college staff in a range of subjects which can be studied further if pupils transition onto North Herts College. Valley school staff will also be on hand to provide a familiar face and offer support in the unlikely event that any issues arise that college staff cannot deal with.
- The 3 groups will rotate through 3 vocational tasters as below
- Each vocational taster to run for 10 or 11 weeks before groups move on (31 weeks in total)
Vocational Taster 1: ENTERPRISE at Stevenage
- Setting up and running and enterprise project
- Business / Marketing – Dragon’s Den
- Pop up stall
Vocational Taster 2: MEDIA at Stevenage
- Digital skills development
- Stop motion animation
- Video editing and production
- Radio station TBC
Vocational Taster 3: MULTI SKILLS at Supported Studies Multi Skills unit (ECC)
- Motor vehicles
- Upcycling bikes
- Health a safety including safe use of tools
Pupils also have the opportunity to develop many associated independence skills such as visiting ASDA to buy their lunch, working in groups that they are unfamiliar with and travelling on public transport.
Dates for your diary
- College will start on Thursday 09.09.21 and finish on Thursday 09.06.22.
- Half term 18 -10
- Christmas Break 09.01.21 04.01.22
- Half term w/c 14.02.22.
- Easter 04.04.22. – 18.04.22.
- Half term w/c 30.05.22.